Saturday, May 19, 2007

New Purse



So I did get a chance today to go to the Mt Tabor Art walk and Sale. I got a few hours by myself (that is impressive in and of itself) so I walked up to the general area with a stop along the way at Stumptown for coffee. The weather wasn't too warm or sunny (which is perfect for me!) and it was a lovely walk. First stop was Lydia's who's daughter is in Matthew's class and who I have worked a little bit with in Art Infusion for Matthew's school. Her work is beautiful and I was so impressed and in awe. I am most certainly not an artist and not particularly artistic but her work was wonderful and I loved it! Then it was off a little further to another house featuring this. Oh what fun I had in there!! And of course I did end up buying a new purse...although I did inform my husband that I was incredibly restrained since I easily could have chosen about 10 purses!! What this gal does is makes purses out of discarded materials. I still want the purse she had that was made out of a scrabble board....so very cool! She also had some made out of plastic place mats and many made out of bookcovers. The one I chose is made of an old Portland Public School library book...in fact I chose it because on the one side you can see (and feel the texture) of the Portland Public Schools stamp on the front of the book cover. On the inside of the purse she left the pocket
that would have had the card to check out the book from whatever school library it was from and it also has all the color pen markings from an overly ambitious child from who knows when. I absolutely adore this purse...and the fact that it's made from material that his it's own history just impresses me all the more!
After my purchase of my new purse I really wasn't left with much time before I needed to head back home but I did check out another spot and then headed home. It made for a lovely afternoon and the whole time I was gone my house was getting painted on the inside! It's almost done (it will get finished on Monday, part of the kitchen and then some touch ups) and the walls look so much better now that it's all clean! Now if I can just convince Mason to keep his hands off the walls.....

1 comment:

Ali said...

Thannks for the link to those bags - they are truly unique. Hope you enjoy yours.