Wednesday, October 24, 2007

U is for "Under Autumn's Spell"

Lovely, lovely Autumn......love it!!!! Lately (although not today) the weather has been fantastic. Beautiful sunshine, warmish days but chilly nights, and the most gorgeous colors on the tree leaves around town. Let me show you..........



These were taken around the neighborhood 2 Saturdays ago on a very nice walk in the afternoon.



Matthew and his kick-ass shoes (obviously I love them!) playing in the leaves. The leaves on these trees are now completely gone since last weeks storms completely stripped them down!


And then on Sunday on my way to work....yes, this would be driving along hwy 26 at about 65 mph on my way to work! The fog in the trees was amazing.... it was also really cool coming across the Ross Island Bridge but I snapped the camera too fast. After I took the picture I had a much better view/sight but at that point there were cars and I really needed to stay in my own lane.
And more amazing displays of nature when I got to work on Sunday!
Just for Autumn's sake....this I think is still one of Matthew's (and mine too) favorite poems. It's in Caroline Kennedy's "A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children" and I think Matthew still has it memorized.

Thoughts

I love the Autumn,
And yet I cannot say
All the thoughts and things
That make me feel this way.

I love walking on the angry shore,
To watch the angry sea:
Where summer people were before,
But now there's only me.

I love wood fires at night
That have a ruddy glow.
I stare at the flames
And think of long ago.

I love the feeling down inside me
That says to run away
To come and be a gypsy
And laugh the gypsy way.

The tangy taste of apples,
The snowy mist at morn,
The wanderlust inside you
When you hear the huntsman's horn.

Nostalgia-that's the Autumn,
Dreaming through September
Just a million lovely things
I always will remember.

Jacqueline Bouvier






2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the pictures of Matthew in the red leaves. The wonderful poem captures all that I love about Autumn for sure. I'm hoping for a few more warm sunny days.

Unknown said...

I have loved this poem By JBKO since I was a child.